Monday, January 10, 2011

New Year, Fresh Start!

Okay, I'll admit it. I failed miserably with my 12 card ideas of Christmas. I did finish all the projects, just didn't get everything up on the blog in time. I think I forgot how hectic the holidays are. I love Christmas. It's one of my favorite holidays, but whew, I'm glad when it's over; but I always miss the decorations. The house goes back to looking so bland and boring after having all the glittery knick-knacks and twinkling lights everywhere.


Now it's time for some hot cocoa (sugar free for my diet) and making Valentine's Day cards. Nothing says "I Love You" like a handmade card or gift. Here are a few ideas for spreading "a little love," 3x3 cards that are small enough to tuck into a lunchbox or briefcase. It doesn't matter if you've told the special people in your life that you love them a thousand times a day. They never tire of hearing it and it's always a good idea to put it in writing every once in a while:)



These five little cards where made from one piece of 8.5x11 kraft cardstock and scraps. I had a few bits and pieces laying on my desk and decided to put them to good use instead of filing them in the scrap bucket. They were all easy and quick to make.

The "Big Love" card was just a CTMH stamp heat embossed in bright red, add an ecru ribbon and it's finished.

"Love You" is one of those $1 clear stamps from the bins at local craft stores. I picked it up a few years ago somewhere. I heat embossed with CTMH Cocoa embossing powder, used a heart punch and a scalloped border punch, add a piece of ivory ribbon. How easy is that?

"Pink Heart" is a chipboard heart that I ran through my Cuttlebug in the Script embossing folder (one of my Christmas presents). I then painted it a pale pink and sprayed it with Glimmer Mist in Rose Tea. Using one of those $1 bin stamps again, I stamped it in CTMH Cocoa ink and used a circle punch to cut it out and attached it with a pop dot. Add ribbon and Prima flower and you're on to the next.

"Rosette" card was a little more time consuming. I scored a 1x12 inch strip of paper every 1/4 inch and accordian folded it, attached the two ends, and flattened it out to make the rosette. I heat embossed a heart on the center circle and glued it all together with quick dry adhesive. A wet mount works best. I stamped "Be Mine" on the bottom in CTMH Cranberry ink. Four down, one to go.

"Red Heart" card was REALLY EASY. I used my Cricut to cut out a scalloped heart, ran it through my Cuttlebug with a damask embossing folder, and stapled it to my card. Yep, you don't even need glue for this one! I stamped "I love you" in CTMH Chocolate ink. Done!

Five mini cards and it probably took me about two hours total, which sounds like a long time. But when you factor in that I designed the cards, made the mini envelopes, lost some of the scraps in the mess on my craft table, and spent 45 minutes looking for my Valentines stamps because I didn't remember where I stored them, it really didn't take that long;)

Hope you've been inspired to share a "little love." Until next time, Scrap Sassy!

1 comment:

  1. Kelly! Nice to see you back! I think your mini valentine's are so cute!! Love em!

    ReplyDelete