Saturday, March 19, 2011

Provo Craft vs. Make The Cut...And WE Lose!!!

Welcome to the Studio!

Unfortunately, I have some bad news to share. Provo Craft (manufacturer of Cricut) has sued the owner(s) of Make The Cut. Due to a settlement in the case, NEW UPDATES of Make The Cut will not work with ANY CRICUT machines.

A little good news...if you have downloaded MTC prior to this week (Version 3.2.1 or lower), you will be able to use it on your Cricut as long as you do not update your Cricut firmware (Expression/Cake Version 2.34 or lower). Even if you only downloaded MTC's trial version, you can get the registration code and it will continue to work with your Cricut as long as you DO NOT UPDATE! So at least some of us can continue to cut to our heart's content for the time being. However, if you purchase any of the new cartridges that are being currently released, they may or may not work without updating the Cricut firmware. If I find out for sure, I'll be sure to post the info. Older cartridges are not affected.

My Two Cents...
This is only my opinion and it's the basis for my choice to boycott Provo Craft in the future. You should make whatever decision is right for you. I feel that I paid for my Cricut with my hard-earned money. It's mine, period. I also bought a printer and a scanner a few years ago. They are mine, period. All three of these products hook up via USB to my computer. My printer manufacturer does not tell me what I can and cannot print, nor does my scanner manufacturer limit what items I can scan. What right does Provo Craft have to tell me what I can and cannot cut or what program I can or cannot use to cut those items. I enjoy designing my own creations to cut out. Provo Craft's Design Studio does not give you that freedom. You are limited only to the cartridges they sell and that you own. I have about 20+ cartridges that I use occasionally. Most of them I purchased for a specific layout/album I had in mind. I like them, but even using the Gypsy, I still cannot manipulate the shapes to create what I want.

Pursuant to Provo Craft's choice to "attempt to stifle my creativity," not only will I not purchase ANY of their products in the future, including blades and mats - and yes, I can still get blades - but I am currently saving up to purchase a new cutter. I have been researching what's on the market and I have my eye on a Black Cat Cougar. The Lynx model is also pretty sweet. {link on side} That company is working with Make The Cut, as opposed to suing them, in order to grow their business and bring smiles to the faces of thousands of papercrafters around the world.

Thanks for listening to my rant. If you have any questions about MTC and your Cricut machine, please don't hesitate to email me. If I can't answer your question, I know several people who can.

Until next time, Scrap Sassy!

No comments:

Post a Comment