Monday, October 10, 2011

Winter Wonderland

Welcome to the Studio!

If you’re visiting from the Card A Day Blog, thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you come back again soon. If you haven’t been to the Card A Day Blog, please stop by over there. There is a bunch of talented ladies doing some awesome creating. I’m so excited to be a part of it.

For this week, the theme is Christmas and Snow. When I think of snow, the words to White Christmas come to mind and I get that old-time movie scene in my head of frosted windowpanes, roaring fires, and snowflakes gently drifting by outside. It’s definitely all in my imagination. I grew up in Louisiana, near New Orleans. I remember swimming in the backyard on Christmas Day, and New Year’s for that matter, for more years than I care to count. I also remember standing out on Veterans Highway in Metairie, Louisiana in the pre-dawn darkness freezing my buns off, teeth chattering, dressed in some silly costume (ballerina, Indian, Wonder Woman, etc.) with all-weather coat and gloves too, waiting for the Mardi Gras parade to start in late March. Needless to say, the weather down there is unpredictable at best, but I digress. Let’s get to the good stuff…stamped snowflakes!



I used a past sketch from Mojo Monday for the layout of this card. I used a transparency with Staz-On to stamp the individual snowflake “petals.” The stamps are from Heartfelt Creations as well as the die. The hardest part of this technique was waiting for the ink to dry. After it does, however, the fun begins. Using the Heartfelt/Spellbinder die, you just line up the die over the stamped image. Yes, it sounds hard, but remember that your paper is clear, so it’s super-easy. I ran it through my Bigshot and got ready to play with glitter and bling. I used 3-D Crystal Lacquer (with a fine tip) on the unstamped side of the flakes to “draw” where I wanted the glitter to go. Some sections I filled in with glitter and other sections I just traced some of the swirls. I used MS aquamarine glitter for the bottom layer of flakes and MS white gold glitter for the upper flakes. I attached the flakes together with a foam dot, thus giving it the upper and lower levels. To hide the dimensional, I added a huge chunk of “ice” on top. A Stampin Up “Season’s Greetings” and a silver organza bow finish it off. It was fun to make and looks even better in person…and a lot more sparkly!

My Supply List:
Cardstock: chocolate, CTMH; white, CTMH; Bazzill Bling, Bazzill.
Patterned paper: Brown Polka Dot, K & Co. Christmas Paper Pad
Stamps: Season’s Greetings, Stampin Up; Snowflake Medallions, Heartfelt Creations.
Ink: Chocolate Chip, Stampin Up; Timber Brown, Staz-On.
Dies: Snowflake/Medallions, Spellbinders/Heartfelt Creations; scalloped circles, Spellbinders.
Ribbon: Silver Organza, Offray.
Bling: Jolee’s Boutique
Adhesive: Glue Glider Pro High Tack, Glue Arts; 3-D Crystal Lacquer; foam dots.
Tools: Border Punch, Stampin Up.
Glitter: Aquamarine and white gold, Martha Stewart.

Thanks for stopping by. Until next time, Scrap Sassy!

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic job on this card it is soooo stunning with the bling. Love the color combination too. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty!! Love how a simple design can still shine with some gorgeous bling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly this card is so pretty!!!Love the papers and the snowflake is gorgeous !!! Darlene told me today that you were selling the vintage Halloween images...well girl, I want to buy some!!! My cold has come back and I know I wont be swimming anytime soon, but I hope to see y'all Saturday. Maybe I can pick them up then if you have any left to sell!
    See ya soon,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete